Thursday, July 9, 2015

Westward ho!

I think.  Is that the way you spell that?

I tried the western route today.  This leads me over into the really big city and onto the cross town MUT.  I visited a couple of lakes I had not previously been to this season.

First up was Lake of the Isles.  That's an island out there behind the water recreators.

I suppose presence of small islands is a good reason to call a body of water lake of the isles but I believe that historical research would reveal that pre-settlement that was a swamp.

There is a public water source at that spot (probably usually referred to by its more common name, water fountain).

I was close enough to doing something signficant that I went ahead and persevered out to the city limits and entered Saint Louis Park.  This means I bicycled all the way across the really big city.  This is my turn around point, an information kiosk on the Three Rivers Park District MUT.
On the way back I was looking for a photo opportunity featuring the recently controversially named Lake Calhoun.  Instead I settled for this fairly giant gaggle of recreation enthusiasts out enjoying a lake in the City of Lakes.
A canoe, I think three kayaks and seven paddle boards, all in the channel between Calhoun and Lake of the Isles.

It WAS a nice day for it.

The MUT over there was mostly downhill and with a tail wind on the way home and I may have over cooked it a tad.  I figured it was OK as I planned to edit the route as I neared home by cutting through the Fairgrounds.  Imagine my chagrin when I discovered, AFTER riding through the Fairgrounds that the far side gate was locked.  We have the National Senior Games going on in town right now and maybe I should have known but did not the venue for the cycling events is the Fairgrounds.  Road races yesterday and today, time trials Saturday and Sunday.

With the gates locked I had to backtrack and ended up riding too far, my longest ride of the year.  Over cooked and then a ride too far.

Oh, well, at least now I know.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Paddle boarding seems to have caught on big where you live. I see a couple in the top photo, too.

National Senior Games? I predict there will be more over cooking in store for the participants.

Emily M said...

Great ride! You may be interested to know that your former neighbor and my elementary school principal was participating in the biking portion of the National Senior Games. He did not make the podium, per his daughter's Facebook post, but a good time was had by all.

BDE said...

P. Fred? I think he came over once early on in our family's biking history and helped put together a bike.
This sounds like a really beautiful ride.