Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Jacket?

It seemed like it was going to be a beautiful day but I had to wait until 1:30pm for the temperature to reach even 69F.  Even at that point I tried only once around the cul de sac before returning to the driveway to retrieve my jacket.

Jacket weather in July?

I rode out to the north and I willingly admit that at every turn towards the north I congratulated myself for having the proper gear.

Chilly and 69.

But it was pretty.
It was pretty and rideworthy especially when placed in context of yesterday's air quality index figures.  Yesterday was historically really, really bad air.   It was officially not only unhealthy for the likes of older people with diminished respiratory capacity, it was officially unhealthy for every single living breathing human being in most of Minnesota.  The issue was mostly particulates in the air as a result of several major wild fires in Canada.  Any one in the metro area who walked outside was immediately exposed to having to breath something that just did not feel good entering their lungs.

But today?  Today I love the ride that I took through the reservoir lakes.  I have mostly taken it north to south, this year has been more often south to north.  New perspectives and all of that, it is an excellent ride in either direction.

There are two major sporting events going on right now that require my attention to morning TV.  The whole bicycle race thing is at last starting to get to the part I love the most, the travelogue of France.  I note that on Thursday the race will visit Dieppe and then travel down la Côte d'Albâtre which as we all know est située sur la Manche.  The race will again travel along the exact old roads that we visited in when we were last in France in 2012.  You can all pretty much guess correctly that we will be tuned in.

Then there is the whole grunt fest going on in the suburbs of London.  I am watching it, I want to like it but the screaming out loud when you strike the ball is not only unsportsmanlike, I believe it is an actual violation of the rules.  I wish I could like Serena v. Sharopova but for me the tennis is certain to be overshadowed by the screaming.  Just for good measure I note that in today's match Sharopova engaged in marginal conduct by moving after her opponent had made her ball toss for service.  Some are accusing her of unsportsmanlike conduct.  Well, maybe.  The screaming when she makes contact with the ball on each and every one of her strokes looks to me to be way, way more unsportsmanlike than a side step during the toss towards where you think your opponent is likely to serve.

I will be watching the bicycling.

I predict that in every, every French town there will be a large stone church, possibly even some where I already have a photo.

I love le Tour.

2 comments:

BDE said...

I love that post from France when we were in Dieppe. That was an amazing and wonderful day. I hear that parking is free there.

Santini said...

Interesting reading today. I also rode yesterday, also in mid to upper 60's, and with a pretty stiff wind. There is a group ride scheduled for today, and it is still in the 50's here this morning. We've had a lot of cold summers in the past three decades or so, and though this one isn't the coldest, it's pretty cool. Anyone who visits should bring a jacket.

I'm not feeling the Tour so far.