Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Longest ride of the year

It DID rain yesterday but it was something short of the major weather we had been warned about.  It rained a fair amount in the morning but by mid-afternoon I was feeling a little sheepish about sitting inside my house.  It was sunny by noon, soon enough after that dry, it looked like a ride was possible.

This time I let the temperature and humidity keep me inside.

But after the storm came the promised shift in pattern.  A little bit cooler, a lot less muggy and, unfortunately, really windy.

I rode over to the city limits between the big city and the smallish suburb that lies between where I live and the big city just to verify and sure enough, the street which would appear to be half in each of those municipalities has been totally treated with oil and tiny pieces of crushed rock.

I retreated and headed north.

With the extra southern detour and the full northern ride I ended up with my longest ride of the year.

I turned around at Highway 96 just past this view of Sucker Lake.
The real reason for today's pause in this spot was not, however, the picturesque park and waters.  With the longest ride of the year under way I had developed a need for additional water.  I needed a public source of water and found one at this park building.
So even with fresh legs, the longest ride of the year and 20 to 25 mph West winds produced fairly profound fatigue.  Once again I am knackered.  A good knackered, but knackered.

Tomorrow promises to be a new day.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Wow, good thing you had a rest day. Double-knackered even so. That's a very pretty bench/lake photo. My new desktop background.

Santini said...


Sounds too hard to me.

For a lake with an ugly name, it sure is a pretty lake. I like the bench under the tree, too. A good spot for a sit down.

At one point there was a series of blog posts about public bathroom doors of different colors. Seems odd, now.