Friday, July 24, 2015

Two kinds of sticky

Today was mostly cloudy during the time I was out but I got lucky at the turn around point.
I had to wait for a large contingent of the family to stand aside before I could approach the photo opportunity position.

It was 85 or so today with a dew point approaching 70.  In other words it really wasn't fit weather for a bicycle ride, a little too hot and muggy, sticky if you will.  I persevered.

I had some trouble locating 43rd and 43rd.  I turned on 42nd and discovered that 43rd doesn't come through that pretty little park.
The avenue only misses that one block between 42nd and 43rd.  I had to go around the block but fortunately I had a bicycle with me and that trip was easy.

It is perhaps worth noting that gremlins have been at work there.  The street going left and right as indicated by the double arrow is actually East 43rd Street.  The street that tees into that intersection from the south is actually South 43rd Avenue.  Someone has switched the signs.

I suspect that in that neighborhood the pump probably don't work because the vandals stole the handle.  Bob said that.

Here is some wildlife at one of the Como neighborhood rain gardens.
That's a pretty butterfly and I am fairly sure it is not a Monarch.  No sign yet of any cardinal flowers.

But I may miss the flowers this year.  All of the east west streets over there have this sign posted on them.
Oil means sticky little pieces of gravel to adhere to my tires.  I will be rearranging my routes to bypass that area for a while.

5 comments:

Santini said...

That's too high a dew point for me. Even walking is an effort in that kind of humidity.

The falls never fails.

I'd totally forgotten about cardinal flowers. It's a little bit early here yet, I think.

Nice wildlife. And pretty flowers. I used to know what those are called.



NCW said...

Nice photo's, they may even be card worthy. I think I heard PP say those are cone flowers, but I could be mistaken. My memory is not what it used to be.

TOPWLH said...

Excellent post with some great photos. I especially like the flowers with butterfly.

Retired Professor said...

I think that NCW'S is right. PP has a similar photo, with a bee, at the top of her Facebook page,

Retired Professor said...

I think that NCW'S is right. PP has a similar photo, with a bee, at the top of her Facebook page,