Saturday, June 21, 2014

At long last I got somewhere

I am feeling a tad under the weather and thought I would not ride today.  But, it was such a nice day.  And all weather reports indicate tomorrow isn't likely to be as nice.  Eventually I decided that a little spin really wasn't very likely to make me feel worse and I didn't feel THAT unwell.

I didn't really get anywhere at all today but I can report that when I got my bicycle back into my garage that I have 1,016 miles for the year.  That at least feels like somewhere.

Considering that the season is at least one-third over this isn't a huge number.  But for comparison I offer that I am 8 days ahead of the date last year when I reached 1,000.

I was mostly just riding around not wanting to get TOO far from home.  Did I mention I am . . . oh, yeah, I did.  JRA was actually a good plan because those old cars are in town and traffic patterns EVERYWHERE are pretty weird.  For example I was riding through Como Park near the new swimming pool and because of what was happening with the cars I, for safety reasons, had to move out into the center of the lane (AKA taking the lane) because I was traveling faster than the motorized traffic.  Maintaining speed and cutting between the slow moving cars and parked vehicles would have been a moronic thing to do.  Passing on the left would have equally as foolish.  So I took the lane as a vehicle and rode along at about 4mph until finally I arrived (first in line) at the traffic light just as it went red.  I took the center lane to allow all of those folks turning right to do so without killing me.  Very weird traffic pattern.

This is my favorite view of Lake Como, from up on the hill down at the southeastern most extension of the lake.
I didn't get very many miles on my spring bicycle this year so another mileage milestone is coming pretty soon for NewLOOK.  In checking over the log to verify for myself that all of this mileage stuff is true I notice that I am getting too close for comfort to most miles ever ridden on a recycled set of tires.  If it rains tomorrow the bicycle content here is likely to be new tires.

Just a warning.

Riding helped, it didn't make me feel any worse and that means it made me feel better because regular exercise like riding a bicycle is really, really good for me.  And for everyone else too.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling up to par. The exercise probably didn't hurt you any in the short run, and I agree that exercise is powerful medicine in general.

That's a nice view of Lake Como.

Congrats on the mileage milestone. 1,000 miles is a big deal. And it's just the first day of summer.

A tire post is fine with me. Some of your other readers might skim through it, though.

TOPWLH said...

I am hoping for a non-tire post, since riding the bike gives you such pleasure. When I had this illness a couple weeks ago, Wireless suggested riding my bike would not make me feel any worse. She was right.