Saturday, June 28, 2014

Before the boomers

I have heard from TOPWLH that Wireless got in 21 miles this morning.  Myself I waited until the first futbol was over before deciding to give it a try.

About the futbol, are there any other takers for the I am not yet sold on Brasil as a favorite bandwagon?  Blessed with the softest of draws (not their fault but Group A was undeniably soft) the host team has now also benefitted immensely from the results of games in other groups.  They find themselves in the knockout stage in a full quarter of the draw stocked with only other South American sides, none of whom are Argentina and all of whom are likely to be a bit intimidated to be playing the Brasil in Brasil.  Brasil enters the knockout round against Chile who did the hosts the extreme favor of knocking out the defending champions in the group stage.  This game easily could have been Brasil v. Espana.  As it is, Chile takes Brasil all the way to the final kick in the penalty shoot out before bouncing one off the upright to lose the game.  Brasil cannot face a European side until the semi-finals.  When it is likely to be Deutschland.  I am not yet sold on Brasil, I still think Deutschland v. Argentina in the final.

I rode pretty hard.  It was sunny enough when I started or I wouldn't have tried at all.  But every time I turned towards the west I was impressed by the looming black clouds, gradually getting more looming and much blacker.

Still along the way I saw a couple of interesting sights.

When the 35W bridge fell down they rerouted that freeway traffic down this not designed for that level of traffic state highway at the edge of Roseville.  Several changes had to be made to the highway, mostly to limit access from some city streets with the intention of improving traffic flow.  When the new bridge opened it was decided to retain several of the changes that had been made.

Back in the old days there was a street here which permitted direct access onto the highway.  The change involved building that sound wall and tearing out the asphalt, effectively abandoning the street.
The deal was though, they couldn't completely close the gap because there is some sort of infrastructure out there that city crews still needed to access.  A lift station I believe.

Over time I noticed as I occasionally rode past that some scofflaws were still sneaking around the barrier.  There were persistent tire tracks through the grass and out towards the highway.

Well, now gravel has been hauled in and it sure looks like a street to me.  I don't expect those barriers and sand bags to present any serious impediment to those who are likely to decide that the shortest way onto the highway is the best way.

The wind was strongly from the south so I found a place where I could gain some southern distance while in the shelter of a heavily wooded neighborhood (University Grove if you must know).  It was getting pretty dark but I though I could still get a couple more miles by cutting through the Fairgrounds.  This led me past these: 
Did we all know that the cows have a nice Japanese lilac as shade?

I got into the Fairgrounds and discovered much to my chagrin that the whole north end of the grounds was blocked off for some sort of pet fair.

It was getting pretty dark and now I had to exit the front gate of the grounds and cross Snelling before heading back north and then west across Snelling again.  The final turn towards the west after getting across Snelling was extremely dramatic, straight into near night time looking conditions.

But I made it home before the rain and although it wasn't much, it was 12 miles that if I didn't ride today I was never going to get to ride.  It felt like work, which is, of course, good.  And right now we are getting thunder and lightning and plenty of rain.

I forgot to tell this story yesterday but I think it is fun so I am going to include it today.  At the very end of yesterday's ride grandma turned her bicycle onto the same street I was on about a block ahead of me.  Even at my relatively by age reduced pace I quickly overhauled her.  On the occasions when I do pass someone on the path I usually say something.  On the street there is usually enough room that I just ride way out around them, hoping to give them plenty enough room so that they won't be startled.

Grandma though, looked, shall we say, not terribly experienced?  It didn't seem right to do anything that might be unpleasant for her and ruin her ride.  So about three bicycle lengths back from her rear wheel I carefully announced, "Coming by on your left here, please".

Sure enough, she startled somewhat and immediately glanced over her RIGHT shoulder to discover what was behind her.

I mumbled it so mostly to myself but I just couldn't resist, "Your other left."

3 comments:

Santini said...

Good job, Wireless!

I didn't know about the Japanese lilac and the cows. That's pretty cool.

I feel empathy for the Grandma. Processing information slows way down with age. (Still funny, though.)

I'm sticking with Brasil. No logic involved, I just know a couple of people who live there.

Dune Dweller said...

Froome or Contador?

TOPWLH said...

One of the best of the cow series. Goodbye (for now) to Santini's foggy deck as desktop background.