Friday, June 27, 2014

A day without futbol

I love the World Cup.  But not even this world wide extravaganza is scheduled for every single day.  The first round is complete, on to round 2, the knockout phase, time to take a day off to assess leaving for the first time in seems like forever a day without futbol.

It feels a little weird after the near total futbol immersion to have no futbol today.

There is still that tennis thing going on, of course, and it looks to be getting pretty interesting.  Meanwhile, just exactly when does that Tour de France thing begin?  And in England again?

So just by way of illustration, next Saturday is the Wimbledon women's finals, two of the four World Cup quarterfinal matches (including if they get there Argentina) and Stage 1 of the Tour de France.

An extravagant abundance of riches.

Today featured a 50 percent chance of precipitation.  At shortly after noon I decided that the earlier of the two waves of approaching unpleasantness had probably mostly missed us and that the really heavy stuff of the second wave was at least a couple of hours out.

I love it when my weather prediction is accurate.

But riding in those conditions is NOT conducive to photography.  To be sure, the sun appeared for several nice long periods, but it also kept disappearing into what every time looked like fairly menacing black clouds.  I had to keep riding if I was going to get the desired mileage before the deluge, photography took a back seat.

But I did get one that I think is interesting.

That whole new WestGate project at the Fair means that lots and lots of people will be entering the Fairgrounds at a location quite significantly different than what they are used to.  Planners have taken this into consideration and created a new ramp leading down from the street where WestGate is located into what would last year have been the side of the Midway.
That's new pavement so guess what I did?

I rode on it.

The exercise ALWAYS feel like it was worth it.  And the black clouds to this point have produced only an incident or two of quite light sprinkles, no heavy stuff yet.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Santini said...

From the dirt tracks I'd say you weren't the first over the new pavement, but close enough.

I hate those sticky black things on my tires.

What's the Tour de France?