Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Missed something

Well, it appears to be pretty much late June or early July out there now.  We skipped right past May again this year and it now develops that we also skipped past the peak of the flowering tree season.

Today I headed out hoping to document two of my favorite flowering shrub locations, the four pink blossom crab apples in a square in a yard at the top of the hill (regular fellow riders and perhaps even the very occasional will recognize this spot), and the red white red threesome with the utility pole in the midst a little bit further along.  I was a little disappointed to find that both of those locations are quite severely past prime.  I suspect that the big rainstorm of the night before last knocked those petals off the blooms.

There are still quite a few trees left that are at peak or perhaps even just nearing peak.
One of the things I dearly love about the flowering trees is the opportunity which usually presents itself to ride under one of those trees while the petals are abandoning ship in profusion, riding through a petal "blizzard".

I fear I may have missed that this year.

But it was very pretty out there today, a tiny bit too warm, a nice day for a bicycle ride.

2 comments:

Santini said...

That's a pretty spectacular looking tree.

TOPWLH said...

It does seem like July or late June. I miss having spring (formerly my favorite season). It is weird having to do grades at the end of the spring term and feeling like I am missing summer. I am optimistic, however, that I will have many more warm sunny days before it snows again!