Monday, May 5, 2014

Another sign (x2)

I mostly rode south today, hoping to get farther into the big city than I have previously been this year.  I succeeded in that goal but must report that the pavement at Dead Man's Curve is in remarkably awful condition, riding that direction is going to take careful planning and better than average timing (to avoid traffic).

But mostly I was interested in evidence of street sweeping in the areas where I might be inclined to ride.  I rode on several of the important streets and found zero, repeat zero, evidence of anything at all having been swept up.  I was on my way home when finally I found a sign.
That's sort of generically Como neighborhood but south of Como Avenue.  Street sweeping will be occurring there tomorrow.  I ride through that on all rides to the south, if a ride tomorrow is possible I expect to be heading north or perhaps east-west.

So that's a sign (x2) of progress.

On the way home I saw another sign of progress.  This is a different sign so this one also probably qualifies as an x2 sort of deal.  I have pictured this bush at least a couple of other times in years past.
White flowers.

Plus for good measure there are some bulbs coming up there along the sidewalk in the front yard.

It is starting to seem vaguely possible.

5 comments:

Santini said...

Street sweeping and blossoming trees are both good signs.

I had a conversation with a neighbor today who seemed a little depressed about our cold spring. His opinion is that this will be one of those years without a summer. I hope he's wrong.

Gino said...

Nah, it is just another year without a spring. Summer is still definitely in play.

Santini said...

His point was that it's only about six weeks until summer solstice, then the sun heads back the other way. He's pretty sure he's onto something.

Gino said...

So anything after the solstice isn't summer? Like July? Like August?

I myself am a notorious alarmist but I am only alarmed about another year without a spring. I still think summer looks like a done deal.

Unknown said...

The summer solstice is the middle of summer, so summer doesn't "end" at the solstice, it just starts to "less like summer" at that point. Though the past winter has been terribly cold, so they'd have an excuse on why everything has not been swept up yet. But they won't have that excuse once the solstice gets nearer, so they had better get cracking! Haha!
Rudy Swanson @ Haaker