Friday, August 16, 2013

Riding in the woods again

I don't believe I have ridden past this more than a time or two without zooming up the hill of the world famous Kiwani's Rest Stop.  Today I did.
It's pretty flat around here, I am usually always glad to do a little elevation gain.

I had a guide for the first part of the ride but eventually pushed on solo.  I found another nice cluster of cardinal flowers, out there quite near to the others on Sand.
I'm pretty proud of myself over this one.  Completely unguided I managed to find this spot.  I have ridden there at least a couple of times before but never before did I have to find it in addition to riding to it.
That's the former Pigeon River crossing at the end of Holly off Blair.

See,  I found it.

I am pretty sure this is an example of silk purse from a boar's ear.
I believe I am correct in my belief that this nice county park is a reuse of a hazardous waste Superfund site.

Warm enough today to at least feel like summer although still several degrees below average.  A nice ride on a nice day.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Ah, the Kiwanis Rest Stop. A landmark, for sure. Hardly an elevation gain, though. Even by local standards. Maybe 3 pedal strokes?

Good find on the cardinal flowers. Still on Sand, but further north, I'd guess.