Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bing gets binged

Yesterday felt like rain ALL DAY, every single minute.  But it never actually did.

Today dawned feeling a little bit the same.  Further more the weather predicting internet source currently highly touted by TOPWLH put the probability of precipitation at 60 percent or so, beginning at about noon.

Bing got binged.

According to the internet weather radar source that I generally refer to, the system split in two, part going past to our north, part going past to our south.

Pretty darn nice day.

I did show some deference to Bing by riding the don't get too far from home loop at the beginning.  THAT turned out to be a complete waste.

But the not too far from home loop leads me down past the cows and into the Fairgrounds.  Today I found the gates all closed,  entrée interdite.

Eventually I came across a gate with an explanatory sign.
Entrée interdite.

I circled around over towards Lake Como and then headed back down towards the front gate of the Fairgrounds hoping to find further explanation.  On the way I passed my favorite municipal rain garden in the Como neighborhood.

Usually I have to wait until I spend part of August in Michigan to spot a cardinal flower but today I saw the year's first cardinals in Saint Paul.
Here's the front gate of the Fairgrounds.
Oh, right, that figures.

A good reason why the grounds would be closed until August 21 is that the Fair starts on August 22.

The problem for me is, I think, that I am still sort of expectantly awaiting the arrival of spring and as a result I am pretty totally unprepared for it to be nearly the end of summer.

But . . .

The big news of the day is in our back yard.
Today was only the delivery.  Actual installation will occur Thursday.  The delivery guy warned us that during installation on Thursday we should expect to be without power for most of the day, 4 to 6 hours he said.

I guess that's going to have to be OK, particularly when I consider the fact that after Thursday the power will NEVER GO OFF AGAIN.

That photo was after my ride, maybe 3:30 or so.  Pretty nice looking day for a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms would be my opinion.  Others might not agree but they would be wrong.

4 comments:

Emily M said...

That is a mighty fine looking generator. We have a much, much larger one of the same brand outside my office building.

Retired Professor said...

Good description of the same kind of weather we're having here.

I agree, nice looking generator.

Retired Professor said...

JB says that your power will go off again, but only for a short time. Ours is 3 seconds. Enough to have to reset some clocks.

Gino said...

A couple of the men who were here today said the same thing, pretty much.

Three different guys, a plumber/gas guy, an electrician, an a set up tester guy. At most times during the day there were two guys here. And the tree trimmers came and went during the day as well. Busy day in the back yard. The last guy here had to call the electrician back for an additional detail but that last guy didn't leave until he was satisfied that the system was operational.

Resetting clocks is inconvenient but only inconvenient. I guess I'm going to be OK with that.