Saturday, August 10, 2013

Retour vers la Ligue 1

It's hard being a fan of a relatively obscure European football club, particularly so when the club is NOT from one of the big four soccer leagues in Europe (England, Germany, Spain and Italy) and even more so when the team I have been trying to follow is not even in the top league in France.  FC Nantes has given me a break though  by winning promotion to Ligue 1 and this year's season began today.  That's what the post title refers to, the return to the top league.  It is also the slogan captured on a t-shirt gifted to me by my French speaking dafter.
According to the official website, Ligue1.com, Nantes is back with a bang.  Last year's leading scorer Filip Djordjevic scored in the 23rd minute and SC Bastia contributed an own goal in the 90th minute. FC Nantes defeated SC Bastia 2-0.

I earlier today e-mailed the t-shirt photo to the aforementioned family French speaker.  She replied by text with bonne maillot or something like that although I believe that the French word for t-shirt is "t-shirt".

It was such a nice day that I broke the usual tradition of sunset photos with mid-morning view of the same scene.
 Aftgernoon rolled around and bicycling ensued.  I was out without my customary Michigan ride leader.  This CAN work because I have nearly 3,000 Michigan miles and I can find at least the most familiar of the usual sights.

The Port Sheldon Party Store because who doesn't want to have fuel with an attitude.
 Further north to the crossing of the Pigeon River although I am fairly certain they call it Pigeon Lake at this particular point, Lake Michigan out there beyond the mouth of the river/lake.
Everyone's real favorite, the West Olive One Stop.
The WOOS has a usually pretty taciturn staff and an "interesting" product selection.

And a slightly unsavory clientele.

Nice day, nice ride, fabulous Saturday on the shores of Lake Michigan.

3 comments:

Santini said...

That's a pretty nice (and long) ride -- one of my favorites.

Emily M said...

I believe my exact words were "nice shirt."

Looks like an excellent ride, although what landmarks are left?

Gino said...

I believe your exact words were "nice shirt". I did note that it was "or something like that".