Friday, August 30, 2013

Remembrance of things past

But not the Proust one, definitely NOT the summarize Proust one.

More along the lines of it seems like pretty deep in the past when I last rode a bicycle but given an opportunity today I was able to remember how to do it.

I last appeared on a bicycle on Friday, August 23.  It was hot that day but not TOO hot, a nice day for roofing.

Saturday was 90 with oppressive humidity and the beginning of a National Weather Service Heat Advisory, you know, the old no strenuous exercise and old people stay inside in the air conditioning thing.

I complied.  Turns out that was my last even reasonable opportunity for a while.

Sunday 98.

Monday 97.

Tuesday 96.

Wednesday 93.

Thursday 95.

I am nearly to nodding acquaintance status with the other old fellows walking around the mall in the early afternoon.

I don't really know today's temperature yet except that it was plenty OK for bicycling.  I am pleased to report that I still know how.

I rode out to the Highway 96 terminus of the Snail Lake Park path.
I ride through there on weekdays without any qualms whatsoever.  The traffic is pretty light, hassles are few.  Saturday is a completely different deal, of course.  But today it was a nice shady spot for a ride on a nice sunny day.

I am going to have to sign off now as I believe I am next up in the local Summarize Proust competition.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Hey, a full week off the bicycle could lead to loss of muscle memory and stuff. You could have forgotten -- maybe not how to ride -- that takes two weeks, but maybe how to shift. Or something.

That's one really nasty list of temperatures. I hope that's the end of it for now.

Jimi said...

I'd like to hear your 15 second summarization of Proust. In French maybe.

I'm glad you were able to get out of the mall and back on the bike. I suspect that September will be a better month.