Thursday, May 2, 2013

Paris 2004

The second week of our trip the student took us to the City of Lights.

I've told the story before.  We arrived by train, she checked us into a hotel a couple of blocks from the train station and then took us onto the Metro for the first time.  We got off the Metro, walked up the steps, turned the the corner and outside to this, the first thing I ever saw in Paris, Place de la Concorde.
This is the best picture I have of the Arc de Triomphe.


That time was the only time we ever went up to the top of the Arc.  It was, if I recall correctly, 248 steps.  This is the view down the Champs Élysées from the top.
Across the Seine from la Tour Eiffel.
My two girls at the top of the tower, with the Arc de Triomphe visible at the end of the green boulevard (Avenue d'Iéna) in the background behind them.
Ms. Wireless with her favorite art work at Musée d'Orsay, Ours Blanc, the White Bear.
At Point Zero before tourists started leaving coins.
I was there too.  Our first trip to Paris, the quintessential stop for an American of a certain age visiting Paris for the first time, the grave of Jim Morrison.
The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel with a wing of the Louvre and the tower in the background.  Wireless in the foreground, leaning on the lamp post at the corner of the street . . .
Tulip time in the Tuileries.
The replica Davis Cup at Roland Garros.
The gate was open, no one was around, we walked down a tunnel underneath the grandstand and . . . me, on the court at Court Philippe Chatrier.
The exact size replica of the flame of the Statue of Liberty at Place de l'Alma.  The main road dives into an underpass there and that is where Princess Diana died.
The courtyard of the house where Gertrude Stein lived.
We dodged the big storm here today although apparently southern Minnesota and Wisconsin are getting whacked pretty severely. Here only cold, cold enough for the snow that we didn't get. Too cold for biking after having ridden on a couple of days when I broke a sweat.

I have some photos from the trip in 2006 that I will probably post some time in the future when a couple of rainy days promise to keep me off the bike.

5 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Emmy looks like a French girl in these photos.

Tulip time here starts tomorrow.

I heard that some places just south east of the cities got nearly a foot of snow last night.

Pastry photos?

Gino said...

At that point in her life she was a French girl.

Emily M said...

This is a most excellent photo montage/retrospective. The last few times I was at the Musee d'Orsay, the bear was not on display. I am sad to think that it has been retired to the archives/storage, but it perhaps has something to do with the ongoing renovations. I hope.

BDE said...

I love these photos! They bring back such fond memories of a really great time. Really great.

Jimi said...

Ah! Paris.