Friday, September 10, 2010

Yippie ki yi aye

Having recently remembered how to ride a bicycle and having also remembered that Gene Autry was famous before he owned the Angels, today I continued brain research by remembering how to get to the Fairgrounds on a bicycle.

It looks way different over there without the crowd that we encountered last Sunday even though most of the stuff is still there. The Midway has been dismantled (those people all have business somewhere else this weekend) and a couple of the big tents have already been taken down. But the temporary stands that house most of the food vendors are waiting for the people who own them to have time off from their real jobs to allow them to come on out and finish the clean up. It is an interesting time on the grounds, sort of pseudo post apocalyptic.

I found that I can cover a lot more ground on a bicycle and with no crowds hindering my progress than I could cover while walking around over there. Surprise, huh? I came across this thing in the back yard of the DNR building.It is another junk sculpture and having arrived before the DNR people had come back to clean up the site, this time I was able to get the whole back story and even find out what that giant junk sculpture I saw over there earlier was all about. This one is called Nature's Engineer, the Beaver.Both "artworks" are part of a long running series of junk sculptures made from junk retrieved from Minnesota rivers by citizens as part of the Adopt-a-River program.That big dude last year WAS a fish, as I suspected but I never would have guessed sturgeon,Urgie the Sturgeon to be specific.

Data collected today: EG:66 CB:64 WG:69. As usual the cattle barn is in my opinion the most accurate. I have the gear, it was a comfortable ride. I have reverted to sleeved jerseys, a base layer and arm warmers. I started with the warmers on but after riding for a bit I was able to push them down and remain comfortable. The process of adjusting to fall weather has begun.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Interesting artwork/junkwork. My first reaction to the beaver was that it was a cockroach.

Maybe a form of exercise that can be done indoors would be good, but surely not as soulful.

Retired Professor said...

(No package yet, but we're keeping an eye out for one. I finally mailed your package to you ... priority mail, on Thursday.)