Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mostly sunny 55, 19,000

I live in a place where in a month or so mostly sunny and 55 would be GOOD news.

And to be fair I think the official daily high edged above 55, maybe even to 60. But 55 was what was predicted for the daily high at the time I snuck out the door into a very Octoberish 51.

I came home to watch a little football on TV, a game being played locally, and was surprised to hear the commentary team repeatedly refer to today as a beautiful day. Well, pretty, I will give you. Mostly sunny. And it was good weather for football. But 10-15 degrees below average doesn't ordinarily qualify as a beautiful day.

But it was pretty, I have the gear, I guess I am going to accept beautiful day. For certain my interaction with the day lived up to beautiful. It was cool enough to limit the number of other riders out there and I had a very nice ride.

Early on in the ride I coasted through this display on my odometer. I still have not figured out how to get this thing in focus but I believe the information is visible.Here is where I was when this milestone occurred. I bet the GRider will recognize the spot, probably most anyone else won't. It is just off Hamline down by Lake Josephine.As I suggested back when I rode FirstLOOK for the first time this year, this bicycle and I have unfinished business and it should be apparent what that business is. So, can I do it this year?

Well, I doubt it. That many miles in the time remaining in this season is unlikely. But I checked the log (that's one of the main reasons to keep a log, so you can check it). Last year after September 18 I rode slightly over 1,100 miles. Of course, that included 520 miles, an all time personal best, in November.

I doubt it but if the weather holds . . .

I rode to a familiar place but rode a very unfamiliar route to get there.The blues are very pretty and the hardwoods around the north end of Lake Vadnais are beginning to display a slight loss of green in the foliage. Not enough light to produce that much chlorophyll is how I believe the explanation goes.

Fall has fallen.

1 comment:

gfr said...

19,000 is a huge number of miles.

The photos are nice -- and the signs of fall are there. Sunny and 55? A pretty nice day if you're dressed right.