Friday, August 31, 2007

End

My personal in my head calendar denotes the Tuesday after Labor Day as the first day of fall. So even though it feels much like the end of summer I guess there is still a weekend to go. It clearly is the end of these three months that form the bulk of summer though and an appropriate moment for some reflection.

OK, enough of that, now on with the show.

I had the fewest miles ever for August since I started keeping track. It rained quite a bit and I also ended up losing a weekend and a couple of extra days to illness. I rode fewer miles in Minnesota than I rode in Michigan, something that has never happened before. But I rode today and I felt pretty good and overall I do feel pretty good. I feel reasonably fit, which is the point.

Here is a photo of a building that I pass many times over the course of the riding season, the Roseville VFW, Post 7555.This post sponsored the last two softball teams I coached. We had outgrown the recreation department and went looking for donated money to be able to compete alongside teams in a league populated by teams with organized support, often commercial. The VFW came through for us and I remain appreciative. I always think kindly of this group whenever I ride by. We practiced those two years at the field in the back, behind the post.

The Vuelta a España begins tomorrow. Enthusiasm for professional bicycle racing remains quite low. The big news on the eve of the race is that the UCI announced in a statement Wednesday that it was prohibiting Spanish rider and UCI world champion Alejandro Valverde from starting the UCI championship. Valverde, the 6th place finisher in the Tour de France has also been barred from the Vuelta. He stands accused of involvement with the blood doping ring being investigated by Spanish authorities as Operacion Puerto. So it goes.

The draw was held for the third round of France's Coupe de la Ligue and Nantes will next face a Ligue 1 opponent, Monaco. Monaco is not only Ligue 1 but is in fact currently leading Ligue 1. On a positive note, if I read the schedule correctly the game will be held at Nantes. However, Monaco is a good team from a superior league, a win for Nantes would be an upset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It comes from all those years of back to school after Labor Day, I think. Summer ends abruptly during childhood. September is often very nice, though the sun seems to be racing south.

Vuelta today? Sigh. So sad.

The numbers add up differently every year, she says sooo obviously. SS