Friday, September 16, 2016

Pigs come over to say "Hi!"

Today's ride took us inland to Quincy Park and environs.  The return ride leads past the last vestiges of a farm now completely surrounded by the suburbs.  There were cows, a horse, a flock of chickens . . . and a pig pen.

The pigs were in the shade when we got there but I lingered for a while near the fence looking at them.  Pigs are intelligent and curious creatures (All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others. - Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)) and eventually these two decided to come over and see what was up.
That business between me and the pigs is what is widely known in the swine trade as a "pig proof" fence.

The pigs did some talking.  I am not fluent but I was occasionally in the presence of pigs as an adolescent so I DO know just a tiny bit of pig.  I chatted back to them for a couple of minutes before moseying along.

By the way, the pig that I do know is "pig, pig, pig, pig", rinse and repeat.

Here are the lyrics to a traditional folk song, lyrics recited often in the home of my youth by my father:

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
I was carting home a load with manly pride,
When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
Till a lady, passing by, did chance to say:
"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

That's about enough pig talk for this time.

The FT and I got down Ottawa Beach Road to the State Park entrance before we had to turn and return to home base.
Her bicycle went back to the shop tonight after dinner.  It then rained really hard for about an hour.  It has stopped for now but bicycling may be complete for this trip.

It has been swell, we will be home soon.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Swell post, made me laugh. Old memories are good memories, or something.

It was a good ride. Those pigs make for a startling photo, though.

I like the photo of Mrs. Smith with her new helmet and her coral bike by the sign.

The FT said...

Pigs! Neither was as big as the one at the fair, but they were able to walk around (and talk, evidently). I guess I was too far away or do not speak pig but I missed the conversation.

Nice bike ride and another really beautiful day.

Emily M said...

They are just not anywhere near as impressive as the big pig.