Monday, September 5, 2016

12 days of fun ending on Labor Day

It was too windy to ride yesterday and I really wanted a ride today.

It rained most of the night.  The day started out OK but . . .

TOPWLH has a guest for some sort of concert at the Fair Grandstand featuring a musician they both like.  I had a ticket for the Fair (but not for the concert), I had a couple of coupons in my coupon book for things that I kinda sorta wanted but that I had not been able to redeem.

I joined them at the Fair.

A new bench, I am not positive what the message is supposed to mean.
When we were at the Fair with Wireless she tried to steer me to a new food that I expressed interest in.  The description on the front of the stand did not match my impressions of the new food from the new food reviews in the newspaper.  I wasn't able to commit.

I came home and did extensive internet research.  Wireless had been correct and I returned to the stand she had pointed out, "Pickle Dog", and stood in line for a "Reuben Dog".

The Reuben Dog is a dill pickle spear (note: most of the items at "Pickle Dog" include a full sized dill pickle) with sauerkraut and cream cheese and thousand islands dressing wrapped in a nice slice of pastrami.

Here is the verdict, two thumbs up.
I was interested because the item includes at least a couple of ingredients that are on my approved list (sauerkraut and dill pickles) and also promises the ingredients in a format that is on my approved list (Reuben).  The cream cheese held the item together and while I could have done without the thousand islands there was not so much of the dressing as to make the Reuben Dog messy.  Messy is my usual complaint with Reuben sandwiches and as a result I always order the sandwich without thousand islands.  The Reuben Dog did not suffer from that problem and I think that as a result that item may have made it onto the permanent rotation.

I have not yet found one in the usual places where I have found them in the past but today I closed out the Minnesota Cardinal flower shut out by finding a Cardinal flower display next to the EcoCenter inside the Fairgrounds.
No Fair is complete without some animals, here is a cow escaping from a VW.
I left the two of them behind as concert time approached and headed for home.  Here is my loot.
The cinnamon at the Fair is a couple of bucks cheaper than I can ever find it, even on line.  Two kinds of really interesting looking hot sauce and home grown green peppers and tomatoes courtesy of our guest.

I am home, they are not yet which I guess means that the Fair isn't over yet technically.  For me I have reached the end of 12 days of fun ending on Labor Day.

3 comments:

Emily M said...

I am glad you went back and tried the Reuben Dog. It intrigued me as well. I may need to get one next year.

Unknown said...

You should, Emily. The pastrami was the best I've ever eaten and all the ingredients were excellent. Much tastier than our usual pickle/cream cheese/corn beef treat on New Year's.

I am so happy that GZ finally found a cardinal flower here in St Paul!

I love this post (great photos) and I think this year's fair experiences were the best ever.

Santini said...

Nice find on the Cardinal flower. And the cow.

Home grown veggies are a nice gift, and your haul looks pretty good.

My favorite sauce/relish remains a salsa named "Kiss my sweet ass and call me Sally." I have only found it at a local take out taco place in Florida.

Sounds like the fair was a success again this year.