Tuesday, August 9, 2016

I voted

I like voting and I never miss.  I even show up for a meaningless primary on a hot and steamy day in August.  I don't think it was my most insignificant vote ever, that would be the time I showed up to vote and was offered only one ballot option, selecting two out of three candidates to advance to the general election for a school board seat (I bullet balloted, voting for only one).  Today I had select one out of two for the U.S. House with a well known heavily favored incumbent and select one out of three for one of the positions on the state Supreme Court.  I actually had an opinion on the court seat.

Before that I rode my bicycle.

Hot.  Steamy.

But light winds, gradually winds are becoming my very, very least favorite.  It was hot but the miracle of evaporative cooling kept me comfortable as long as I maintained a reasonable pace.  Drink lots of water, though.  As soon as I stopped the sweat that I was producing which was evaporating while I moved no longer evaporated, as they say at the Games, I popped a sweat.

I can't ride in the Fairgrounds any more until after the Fair is over.  Wind conditions dictated a move in that direction so I headed off towards a place I don't go very often.  I crossed the pedestrian bridge on the campus just downstream from the 10th Avenue Bridge.
Through the arch of that bridge you can see the Stone Arch Bridge in the distance.

I had no guest rider but the person who fills that role happened to be out lunching and walking.  She reports that her party walked across the Stone Arch Bridge and that it was way too dang hot.

As I said, evaporative cooling was working for me and I was quite comfortable.

I got into the actual downtown area of the major metropolis off to our west.  Here is my first photograph of our new $1.1 billion (yup, billion with a "B") football edifice.

It is HUGE.  It is no doubt doing great things to make football great again.
Kelsey worked there for a while.

So here is today's mystery.  I noticed this thing blooming and realized I have no idea what it is.
Here is a closer up look at the foliage and flowers.
Both of the candidates I voted for were victorious.  With that and a successful ride I am proclaiming a productive day.  It looks like it will be hot again tomorrow but with no election scheduled productivity may be harder to come by.

5 comments:

Emily M said...

That's a good photo of the football edifice. Taken from the new park? I can confidently say that, from the inside, it seems like maybe we didn't entirely get our money's worth. Better than the Metrodome, sure, but it still kind of felt like they cut some corners on the finishes.

Kelsey's duct work, on the other hand, was quite excellent.

Santini said...

I always enjoy a bridge photo -- and a bridge and lock photo is even better.

I have no idea what that tree is either.

Nice photo of the stadium. It should last a lifetime, right?

Gino said...

The photo IS from the new park.

There is ZERO chance that that stadium will last a lifetime, probably no longer than the lifetime of a fairly old house pet.

jilrubia said...

Amur Maple. Squirrels will eat the heck out of those seeds if it is to be a long winter.

Gino said...

Thanks master gardener.