Friday, August 26, 2016

Day 2

OK, so obviously the series missed what some would consider to be THE most important day.  It was hot, I had ridden four days in a row, I was achy, frankly I just didn't feel like it.

Several of those things were also true today but today I did feel like it.

This Fair thing is really something.  The average attendance for the twelve days is something like 150,000 people per day.  150,000 is a fairly good sized city.  So you drop a fairly good sized city into what is already a fully urbanized area and you get something like this.  I live over a mile from the actual Fair but this is what my street looks like from shortly after they open the gates over there every day until after they close.
Most, but not all, of those people are legally parked.

I wanted to see if I could edge my way over towards the grounds but eventually gave up.  A fairly large city has come to my neighborhood and almost all of them only come here once a year.  They are unfamiliar with the area, all they really care about is finding a place to park, the level of distracted driving is right up there with Pokemon players.  I had a couple of not actually very close calls but close enough to make me find a new way to head south.

It starts by riding long and hard towards the east away from the Fair first.

So here's another street where I used to live. 
I keep fairly close tabs on the health of four ash trees.  Two in our yard, one in our neighbor's front yard and one that I planted.  The one that I planted is today by quite a bit the healthiest looking of the four.

I rode quite a bit on the Griggs Bikeway today.  It has a couple of nice roundabouts just north of University but once across University it pretty rapidly degenerates into a start and stop not very useful route.  As for the part where it is a useful bicycle route?  Almost 1.5 miles.

4 comments:

Emily M said...

I'm glad to see the Emily tree is doing well.

Retired Professor said...

Scenes from the seat of a bicycle. Always good.

Emily M said...

Do the new owners of the Seminary house know about the Emily tree? We'll have to ask Marilyn if they passed it along.

Unknown said...

I will ask her. I have been meaning to get in touch with her for a couple reasons.