Sunday, March 15, 2015

Beware the Ides of March

Another day in the 60s and this time I didn't have anything else on my agenda.  I have a bicycle, I have the gear, time to get this thing started.

For yet another time I discovered that riding a bicycle once mastered is not something that I have forgotten.  For yet another time I discovered that I HAD forgotten how hard it is sometimes.

I wasn't thinking miles at all, I was thinking time on the bicycle, time to start laying down a base bicycling fitness level.  I had a few miles early last month while in Flor-Ida but not really enough to achieve much fitness and also now so long ago that anything achieved on the bait and switch rental two wheeler is really now no longer relevant.

Today 45 minutes or so weaving mostly into the wind got me to the upwind end of Lake Como.  Despite the recent run of 60+ degree high temperatures it still just ain't quite spring yet.
On the other hand as I neared home I discovered another view indicating fairly clearly that even if spring isn't here winter is in a severe decline.  This is one of the two or three nearby front yard ice rinks.  The boards are down and the homeowner has been out there busting up the ice sheet to distribute the pieces.
Spreading the pieces facilitates melting and indicates quite clearly that the rink has seen its last flooding of the season.

This looks like a pretty good neighbor to me.
Most folks who have a tree taken down in their yard don't really bother with putting up a sign of explanation and apology.

I am knackered, I had to stretch the ride just a tiny tish more than I intended when I suddenly veered into the neighborhood of having the ride end with a total mileage of more than 12 but less than 14.  I stayed out and got to 14.

Officially off the schneid.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Sounds like BICYCLING broke out.

Like BSNYC said, I predict a warming trend through August. You have less snow than there currently is in Holland, I think. I hope the warmer weather hangs around.

TOPWLH said...

Way to go!
That's a great yard sign.

Santini said...

In the "for what it's worth" department -- I am working under the assumption that riding these heavy bikes early on helps build much needed strenth (legs, heart, lungs), and will be appreciated most when you stop riding the Axis and ride your First Look -- or whatever it's called. I forget.