Thursday, March 12, 2015

Because this is a BICYCLING blog

Below zero about a week ago but today was the fourth or fifth day in a row of spring-like temperatures.  Of course, we know full well from a life time of experience that spring is not very likely to actually arrive in early March but what the heck, it is DARN nice out.

So nice that I am close to riding my bicycle.

So nice that today I went around and gathered up my gear.

So nice that today I went out and made sure the relevant bicycle for early spring riding is in a good to go condition.
I pumped the tires and checked the brakes.  I did not do anything that qualifies as a ride but I did have to do a little shake down cruise of several times around the cul de sac to assure my self that I am good to go.

I am good to go.

So nice that today I did what I have been talking about all winter but previously only talking about.  I started on the process of preparing the other relevant bicycle for the riding that will come after spring actually arrives.  Down in the basement today I got the rear wheel off and started to work on last season's season ending flat tire.
I had previously declared that I was going to just discard the tire as it had flatted several times over the last month of last season and I had reached the point of despair over my inability to locate the problem.  I have a couple of spare used tires back there in the corner and I was just going to pitch this one and use one of those.  But it is still winter and I still have lots of time.  I took both the tire and the tube completely off, as is apparent in the photo, turned the tire inside out and started finger touchy searching my way around the tire.  About half way around I encountered something sharp and scratchy.

Well, I got the sharp and scratchy out of the tire and it most definitely was a tiny bit of wire.  If you find and remove the cause of the flats it no longer makes sense to pitch the tire.

So I have repaired the tube and remounted the whole business.  I then located my tools for working on my cassette.  The 17 cog is skipping occasionally.  I have a new spare 17 and a new chain.

But that's enough for today.

It is so nice out that I need to go back outside for a while.

Because this is a bicycling blog.

4 comments:

Jimi said...

It looks like you're ready for the season. I hope that it materializes soon.

Santini said...

I have a fender just like that one.

Season ending flat tire? It was snow and ice in November that ended mine.

Nice bicycle content. It is nice to see clear streets -- that stuff has to all melt before the season can start.

Jimi said...

Your 25K day birthday is March 23. That may call for a celebration or at least mention in the blogosphere. 25,000 days is a long time.

TOPWLH said...

So nice to see a return of bicycle content! Yay, early spring.