Thursday, March 19, 2015

Another step

Having twice ridden in about 60 degrees the 42 or so of Tuesday and Wednesday didn't appeal to me.  Today was slightly above 50 I suppose but dreary on a couple of levels.

Do not despair, there is still bicycle content.

This first thing isn't really a very big job if you have the tools (I do) and any further delay was starting to look like a bad idea as actual rideable summer weather looms.  So I got started on the next step of winter maintenance.
That's what my 10 speed cog set looks like after it has been disassembled and degreased.  There's various tools on the left and degreasing simple green solution on the right.  Also there are two different 17-18 cog parts.  One is new and is just joining the team, one is on its way to either the trash or possible recycling as a Christmas tree ornament.

That was all so very yesterday and today I reassembled the whole wheel, to include pumping the tire, and disposed of the degreaser.

For those wondering what might be coming next I will say that it involves this package and this tool.
There is also a separate chain degreasing process but putting the new chain inside a bottle with a degreaser and shaking vigorously just isn't really interesting enough to merit a separate photo (as if this part was).

It isn't really a very big job if you have the tools.

Meanwhile this equinox thing is about to arrive.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Beautiful wheelset.

You take those things apart and clean them? Hunh. Granted, they can get disgustingly caked with gunk.

Gino said...

I don't really take it apart just for cleaning. I needed to replace the 17-18 cog and as long as it is apart degreasing is a logical part of the process.

It isn't a very big job at all if you have the tools.