Thursday, December 19, 2013

Cheese pie

I have been satisfied with but not crazy about the crescent roll crust.  This time I bought a frozen pie crust to see if a full scale pie offered advantages over tartelettes.

I didn't have enough cheese, had to use some $4.99 for half a pound not quite up to snuff domestic supermarket camembert to fill the pie shell.  Even so, most of the cheese was French and I remain optimistic.  I also added a bit of orange bell pepper, quite a few more mushrooms and a significant increase in the amount of spinach.

Spinach, by the way is great.  I put about half a bag of that supermarket spinach for salad into a largish bowl, stuffed it into the microwave and two minutes later had some freshly cooked spinach, about enough for a cheese pie.

I used more of the green onions, I wish I had had a little bit more bacon.
Again, as is our intention with this dish, it was baked today for consumption tomorrow.

I like the way it looks but next time I am going to get enough of the good cheese and I am going to try to arrange the layers to get a bit more of the spinach on the top (for presentation purposes).

This one was baked in the aluminum tin that comes with the frozen pie crust dough.  I know we have a tart pan around here somewhere, I believe that next I will try some of that frozen folded dough in a box and the tart pan.

Life evolves.

5 comments:

BDE said...

I REALLY look forward to tasting this tart tomorrow night. Each iteration seems to be more tasty than the last. Yum. I am a lucky woman.

Santini said...

That looks tempting. I agree that more spinach showing would be pleasing to the eye. Bacon is good with eggs and cheese. Green onion is good, too. Not so much the orange pepper, but that's a matter of personal taste. It would make a good breakfast, too.

My opinion, again. I like the taste of the frozen crusts better than the pie crust in a box. You could let a frozen one thaw and move it to the tart pan.

Gino said...

As the tart cools the green color gradually makes itself known at the top of the pie. By the time of serving and eating the spinach was playing major roles both in the presentation and in the flavor.

I don't think breakfast for this, it has AN egg but it isn't an egg dish. It probably looks quite a bit like a quiche but quiche it ain't, this is most definitely a cheese pie. Think of the difference between a fried egg sandwich and a toasted cheese sandwich.

The taste test for me found the frozen pie crust to be too much a PIE crust, too sweet. I want something more neutral. I didn't think it was an improvement at all over the crescent roll crust.

TOPWLH said...

Hmm. I was not thinking about the crust. The cheese was amazing and I, too, liked the spinach. Scrumptious.

jilrubia said...

Man, have you got me thinking about cheese pie!! Pappy's makes an excellent frozen crust. It comes in 4 dough blobs in a box, you thaw it and it roll out. Totally passes for homemade. Or you could use frozen puff pastry sheets in a tart pan? Hope you and the whole Smith family enjoy your pie and Christmas!