Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Another September day

I already remember last month as perhaps the warmest September of my tenure.  After a four day appearance by, I don't know, what was that, March?, September has returned.  And not late September either, the right after Labor Day first few days of fall September.

76 today (although only 68 at the Cattle Barn at 1:05pm), sunny and pleasant, and the winds diminished to a very tolerable level.

OOTNDITHOD.

The newspaper and most other weather predictions said southwest wind.  I thought I would ride over to the Minneapolis lakes.  If I have been there this year I don't now remember but . . .

Anyway, that's a route that I rode a lot last fall when it appears that a southwest wind is common.

I rode down the University transitway.  The transitway runs directly into that southwest direction and is downhill, it seems like a good return route in those conditions.  Uphill, but with a tailwind.

It seemed pretty easy, maybe a bit too easy.

I got over to the Franklin Avenue bridge and was now heading mostly west.  The wind was admittedly mostly south but it felt WAY more west than east.  I decided that I was as far west as I wanted to be and broke off the Lake of the Isles quest.  The wind was southeast, mostly south, but most definitely not west.

Instead I headed pretty much straight off towards the south and ended up here again.
It is a pretty nice deal to have that place as fallback destination.  Today there were a couple of guys underneath the falls.

Spectacular yet again, no?

On the way home I rode through the construction zone on Raymond.  I have previously commented on the detour signs but I haven't mentioned this one.
As a bicyclist I am, of course, always hoping for just exactly that, a chance to share the road.

I also like the background industrial location.  I ride there a lot and note by way of comparison that a business like that never, ever, provides an aroma even vaguely as delicious as a newly brined up batch of dill pickles.

But the road leads past here.  This is the tennis courts at Langford Park.
Those trees eventually go to an extremely attractive bright orange.  It remains to be seen whether or not when that happens it will be with a sky like today's to create contrast.  And even if that happens whether I will be there to record it.  Doesn't matter, it looked pretty good today.

I rode too many miles, I feel pretty wasted.  It was fabulous.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

There's really nothing nicer than a mild fall day.

Just about every day I've ridden this month has had a wind from the south-ish. I don't remember that from previous years.

Ah, yes. Pickles. It's what fall smells like here.

Mrs Smith said...

Great post. It was OOTNDITHOD, indeed. No bicycling for me, but yard work before actual work, two walks between meetings, a happy hour outside after work and still sunny when returning home. And then, yummy chicken from the grill. Life is good.