Sunday, July 24, 2011

Le Tour de France

We headed over early fully aware that we knew nothing. As is so very often the case we not only knew nothing, we knew far less than we thought we knew. We knew nothing.

We took the Metro to Madeleine on the 14 thinking that avoiding the 1 line would avoid the crowd. Instead what it meant was that we had to walk all the way back down to the Palais Royale-Louvre Metro stop before we were able to cross over to the Tuileries. All of those streets from the Louvre on up to Concorde are closed not just at Rivoli but for the streets nearer Concorde they are closed one block further back. You need a ticket to be allowed to walk within a block of the course at that point.

Eventually we got over to Rivoli and I got my first photo, a picture of the flamme rouge.We were in the Louvre courtyard when the caravan started to go by. We hurried over to the spot where the course goes into the tunnel between the Louvre and the Tuileries to watch as much of this as we could.Everything Phil and Paul say about the caravan is true. It is first and foremost a parade and if I must say so, I thought it was a mighty fine parade.

The problem was we then had to spend about two hours just standing in one spot waiting for the race. That part was pretty painful.

But we persevered and when they finally did show up, well, I tell you now, it was worth the price of admission. It was way, way exciting.

The first time by there were too many people elbowing and jockeying for position. I took pictures but after review I didn't find much worthy of publication.

The second time by I had a better position (on the fence) and got some better photos. Here's the yellow jersey entering the tunnel.Right behind him comes the green jersey.And just a tiny bit later here comes the spotty.Here's the next time around, there is now a break away but the peloton is looming. Evans is again visible on the inside taking the turn near the front, Musee d'Orsay in the background across the Seine.Evans heads into the tunnel with other recognizable figures including Hincapie, Cancellara and a Schleck or two.We moved from the tunnel spot over to near the flamme rouge on Rue de Rivoli. Here the yellow jersey passes with an Australian flag visible on the far side fence.I got several pictures of the final lap HTC train leading out Cavendish to the stage victory but unfortunately for me at that point the train was running right up against the near side fence. It might be good Tour de France but they are not very interesting photos.

The Tour de France?

Well, well, extemely well worth the price of admission. High energy, high excitement, extremely good stuff.

3 comments:

Santini said...

WooHoo!!! And an extra WooHoo for good measure. I watched for two blue jackets, but didn't see you, though I did see the tunnel quite a few times, as well as the flamme rouge, so maybe I did see you. I'm glad you had fun.

Mrs. Smith said...

Wow! I did not expect such good, close up pictures. Were you that close or using the telescopic lens? It was fun to watch on TV--it sounds like it was REALLY fun to be there.
Did you find any celebrating Aussies yet? The final award ceremony was a Schleck sandwich--seems appropriate.
Thanks for the report!

Emily M said...

As Santini said, woohoo! Andy and I were also keeping an eye out for you but I realize now I should have been looking for blue instead of orange. It was a great end to the Tour and it's AWESOME that you got to see it.