Saturday, July 2, 2011

Contador drops chain, Wimbledon shrieks stopped

It was a very satisfying day in international sports. And OK, he didn't actually drop his chain. But as the old adage goes, what goes around comes around. Did anyone, anyone at all, think that the smallish group that was out in front when the crash blocked the road and stopped the rest of the field should have waited for the defending champion?

Anyone? Bueller?

OK, I didn't think so. The only thing about it that I didn't like is that Schleck was also delayed by the crash and gained no time on Alberto. But Evans and Frank Schleck both gained valuable time. I want it to happen again.

And did you think I meant Wimbledon "streaks"? Nope. Why is she allowed to scream like that every time she hits the ball? Particularly at Wimbledon where the categories of players are Gentlemen and Ladies, why is she permitted to be so unabashedly rude to her opponents?

I was watching the semi-finals and no less an eminence than Chris Evert mentioned that she (Evert) would not like that level of noise from an opponent if she were playing.

I guess I really should add that she's not the only one, far from it.

Yesterday the dew point reached 75 before 8am. I took a walk, a short walk, at around 2pm. It was really, really oppressive.

Today was better and I had the Guest Rider along on a visit to the northern lakes. Today was another good day for shades of blue.Later I was setting up for the corn measurement shot when I noticed the survey marker. I used to work with a bunch of surveyors. I suspect that most surveying has been deemed to NOT be critically important and that most of those folks are among those with mandatory time off. Good luck all.

The official state agriculture department outlook says that it isn't, so far, a good year for corn. The local field contradicts that position.
It isn't the 4th of July yet but it is 4th of July weekend. But that corn isn't anywhere near knee high anymore. At this rate GRider will be disappearing into that field within a couple more weeks.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Some impressive greens in that last photo.

I am not a fan of Contador. But then, who is?

Person who used to live next to corn fields. said...

I don't see any signs that the corn is tassling out, so it still has some growing to do.