Saturday, July 9, 2011

J'ai dormi à poings fermés

It was about 82 with a dew point of almost 70 when I started out today. These are conditions for which medical experts suggest no strenuous exercise for people with heart or lung disease or serious respiratory impairment. It is becoming more and more apparent to me that my age group qualifies as seriously respirationally impaired. That holds even for a really fit member of my age group.

I decided to ride only a few miles and maybe try to recycle later, thinking I could at least get out and ride but that a shorter ride would keep me from cooking myself.

Instead cloud cover developed in advance of predicted overnight thunderboomers. It was still hot, it was still humid and but the overcast meant that I was riding in the shade. It was plenty OK and today, despite everything, I felt pretty good.

It is a learning experience.

I don't think of myself as an exceptionally deep sleeper but it appears that I have been sleeping through something. This is about the third of these I have come across within the past few days.That is a cottonwood limb. I know because we have a big cottonwood that those things throw branches down in the slightest of winds. But that is a pretty big branch. It is clearly broken off. I have no recollection of any recent wind events.

On the other hand, the invasion of overcast while I was riding today was accompanied by a significant increase in wind. Watch this space for photos of fallen branches in the near future.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

As odd as it may appear, I came home from the reunion and a branch had fallen off the ash tree in front of my house. When was the windstorm??

Santini said...

Sleeping soundly is a skill that I much admire.