Monday, July 5, 2010

Close enough

I didn't ride Saturday because it was just too dang hot and humid, dangerous conditions for strenuous exercise. I don't take many days off except for rain but there was enough water present in the air on Saturday to qualify as some sort of equivalent of rain. Muggy.

Sunday I made my annual pilgrimage to Canterbury for free hot dogs and to try to pick a winner. I actually successfully selected the winner for 3 of the 9 races that I saw but I actually only bet on one of them. I am dissuaded from betting on an even obvious choice if the odds are less than 1-1. It is gambling and the betting that I do is for entertainment only. Betting on the same horse that everybody else is betting on does not appeal to me.

Naturally enough, today I am being punished by an all afternoon rain. Lucky for me I got in enough miles in late morning before the rain started to qualify as a successful ride, riding underneath the roof overhang of my garage as the rain began in earnest with 24.91 miles. I declare close enough.

I photographed this stuff once before when it was propped up on the site with worn out grass just behind it. I wasn't sure at that time what it was supposed to be. I thought I would come back some time when lighting conditions were more favorable and try to get a better photograph. Today had more favorable lighting conditions.And now I can definitely identify what that stuff is.

Junk.

While at the Fair Grounds I spotted these guys. You just do not see very many side by side recumbent tandems.Seeing these two guys reminded me that the last time GRider joined me we also rode through the Fair Grounds and came across two people riding unusual bicycles.

It was Tall Bike Guy and a female companion. GRider had never previously observed Tall Bike Guy and I had never seen Tall Bike Guy accompanied either. TBG rang his bell in greeting and so did his companion who happened to be riding a bike with an about 8 foot long extended fork constructed to resemble a low rider motorcycle. Very exotic looking vehicles both. The second unusual machine confirmed for me my thoughts that TBG builds his own.

I rode over to Como Park. The big festival is over and all of the tents and vendors are gone. Some residue lingers on. There is that faintly rotten odor of food gone bad that you usually get the day after one of those giant food festivals and the fence was still there.I am not personally familiar with any of the artists being advertised by those bills attached to the fence but I am comfortable in saying that it looks like they had a party.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Did you bring your own kraut?

That rent-a-fence business seems to be going gang busters.