Friday, April 4, 2014

Worst winter ever now will not end

I opened up my bike log today.  Not because I had any entry to make or anything like that.  I just wanted to confirm the stinking suspicion that I have that this spring is already well on its dangerous way to being as bad as last spring.

Two years ago I rode 252 miles in MARCH.  Last year I rode 164 in April.  Last April I got my first ride in on the 8th but the second did not come until the 24th.

Here are a few entries from between those two dates:

9th: rain and snow mix
10th: snow
11th: lots of snow
12th: flurries
13th: rain and snow
14th: morning snow
18th: 6 more inches
19th: more like 8
22nd: another 6 inches

Beginning last evening and ending this morning we got about a foot here.
Before it all started yesterday we had a bare rear deck and could see most of the back yard.

*sigh*

It melted pretty fast today though and we at least have a useable driveway.  At least until the next event.

Just as the fun was getting underway yesterday one of the  children living in the neighborhood was using the unusual combination of still warm street and just beginning to accumulate sticky snow to inscribe messages in the roadway.
And she was right, great is what we WERE doing.

Perhaps we will be doing great again soon.

3 comments:

Santini said...

I saw your back deck quite recently. Our next door neighbors here are going to Pt. Charlotte to visit our house for a week or so -- they gave up waiting for spring to arrive.

Jimi said...

It's been a hard winter and too long, but the end seems to be in sight. Biking will break out soon.

Santini said...

164 miles is April is still a possibility -- but perhaps not a strong possibility.