Saturday, April 26, 2014

Destination ride

This one definitely counts as a destination ride, Lake Vadnais in April.
If the truth be known I have been out there earlier in April in other years.  I have been there when the snow pack still blocked the road (when there was a road).  I have been there with ice in the lake, one magical day a few years ago I was there as the wind piled the rapidly disintegrating ice along the near side shore with ice out happening right in front of me.

But it's the first time this year to a place where I ride a lot, a place I often have as a goal when I set out.  You know, a destination.

Nearly weightless bicycle and recycling location for scale.

I must say that's quite optimistic of the parks people, thinking that people are going to carry their containers down the lake to that spot for recycling.  Note:  unseen but nearby at camera right is a traditional trash container, another flash of optimism and faith in humanity which I do not share.  I expect them to throw the empties into the lake.

I don't want them to, but I do expect that that is what too many of them WILL do.

The morning newspaper reports that the large city immediately to our south will begin street sweeping on Monday.  This is a bit of a cautionary note for me as it's always a bit of a hassle for me the way they do it.  From a bicyclist's stand point they put too much water down.  Riding down a newly swept street is like following behind a rain storm.  In fact, three hours after the sweeping the street is usually still wet in spots where the sun isn't prominent.

I haven't been down into the big city yet this season.  It looks like my first foray will involve dodging the water trucks.

That's OK though, after a bit the streets will have been swept and I am totally FOR that.

Long time no football news.  FC Nantes had slipped dangerously near the relegation zone until quite recently.  The team's last three outings have been twice against teams actually currently in the red zone and a home match up against league power Marseille.  Nantes reversed recent spotty form and secured victories against both of the teams going down and yesterday managed a second half equalizer to tie Marseille 1-1 and as a result have actually risen to 10th in the table.

With three games remaining FC Nantes will remain in Ligue 1 if current 18th place (the last relegation spot) Sochaux-Montbéliard is unable to secure a victory in tomorrow's home game against league champion Paris Saint-Germain. PSG has 25 wins and only 2 losses to this point in the season while Sochaux-Montbéliard has 8 wins and 17 losses. PSG won the earlier meeting between the two by 5-0 so it is safe to start being optimistic about another season in Ligue 1 for FC Nantes.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Lake Vadnais -- a spring milestone for sure. Here's hoping that the citizenry surprise you, relative to that whole trash situation. (That's two posts in a row with trash collection as a subplot. Is there a theme here?)

Street sweeping usually means no more snow. Now that is something I am totally for.