Sunday, July 7, 2013

Making it manageable

Yesterday was way, way too hot for bicycling at the time of day when I usually ride.  Daily (or at least nearly daily) exercise is important to me so I decided that I could still walk even in yesterday's midday sauna.

Well.

I walked for about an hour at Miller speed (a casual saunter unrelated to the ruthlessly relentless pace known as Elvecrog speed).  Even just moseying along and making route decisions based on the amount of shade visible down each block I arrived home in a full on sweat.

Unmanageable.

Today that bicycle race going on in France started an hour early due to their having to fly from where they were today to where they will spend the "rest" day tomorrow.  They also therefore finished an hour early.  It was 9:30AM, it wasn't horrible (yet), it seemed like it would be manageable.

It was.

But I am glad I was not planning on attending this event at Como Park's McMurray Fields.  Not enough shade, a huge crowd, steamy conditions, yup, definitely not an event for me.
I was on my way home by the time I got this photo, only about 4 miles to go.
That doesn't seem that bad, it seems manageable.  Did I mention that the dew point was nearly 70?

Here is our new plan to make storage in the new basement much more manageable than the old system which has recently caused us so much grief.
Everything in plastic and up off the floor.

The insurance adjuster was here yesterday and we got that part of the recovery under way.  He counted the number of shingles lost, measured the roof and offered us not a thing.  But this is only the first step, we are not yet completely discouraged.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Air too thick to breathe.

Your basement looks good. Not good news about the insurance adjuster, though.

Santini said...

I've tried twice now to watch that race thing in France. Can't do it.