Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reduced mileage

I guess summer isn't quite here yet after all.  Today was gray and windy, definitely not a summer day.  It was still warm enough but when I went out and stood in the driveway to gauge conditions I found that the wind had a definite chill.

I announced to TOPWLH that it had been too nice, that I just couldn't get myself to go in conditions clearly marginal.

She went to work.  The Champions League football came on TV.  I kept checking the weather channel.  The weather channel kept saying that it was going to rain but it didn't actually rain.

Everyone sees where this is going, right?

I got a very late start although I suppose it was still about 3 hours before I would have started if I had a job.  With a late start I took reduced mileage.  With the former yearly mileage goal clearly out of range I was pleased to find that I was plenty good with reduced mileage.  I got out, I rode around for a while, it was all pretty good.

I stayed close to home for two reasons.  Every time I checked the weather before I left home the radar showed blobs of green moving in from the west and when I got out there it felt and looked like rain moving in from the west.  The other reason for staying close to home was that I broke a spoke yesterday and it took me a while to reestablish confidence in the equipment.  I stayed close to home waiting for the ping of another broken spoke, not wanting to walk 8 miles in bike shoes carrying a bicycle with a wheel that wouldn't turn.  I broke no spokes but staying close to home ALWAYS means a complete tour of the Fairgrounds.

The street construction next to the DNR building is done allowing me to ride down that street to get a closer look and find out what the heck is going on.  The old rest room building is gone.
Based on the fact that the street construction was by a plumbing company and on the fact that the events coming during the 12 days of fun ending on Labor Day very definitely need a public restroom over in what is probably the mostly heavily visited quadrant of the Fair, I am going to go ahead and guess that the construction is of a major new and much larger public restroom.

The other reason why I HAD to ride today:  Weather prediction for tomorrow is for a high of 45 with cold rain and a possibility of a mixture of sleet and/or snow, an outside chance of an accumulation of a couple of inches.  Not good biking weather.

3 comments:

BDE said...

I had a feeling this would happen. Way to go.

Santini said...

They left the sign there -- a strong hint that you're right. (Along with the plumbing company construction company.)

Sleet? Accumulation? It's enough to make a mild mannered individual swear a bit.

Jimi said...

It's going to be a short season. Snow again and cold for a few days. It's enough to cause a grown man to cry.

There was a rodeo at the fair grounds last weekend. There were horses and donkeys on the grounds.