Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Something you might see if you rent a bicycle in Vancouver

Just saying. In case anyone might be going there.

The Harry Jerome sculpture in Stanley Park.
And these fellows are probably still standing around down at English Bay.
The Marine Building at 355 Burrard Street.
But the real reason why I am here is because of something I read in one of the Kidd novels. I am engaged in a marathon re-reading of the novels written by John Camp (Sandford) and have come to a new appreciation of the the non-Davenport series. I can wax boring about all of this and probably at some time will but for now I was just really amused by a short passage I read in the Devil's Code.

In the Kidd novels the protagonist (Kidd) is a computer semi-nerd. He interacts with a full on computer nerd who has in the eyes of the nerd succeeded, he has made the big time. The nerd knows that Kidd doubted that the nerd's chosen path would ever succeed, here is his description of what it means to have hit the big time:

"You were one of the naysayers. You were one of the guys who said (I) was going to be eating frozen cheese pizzas for the rest of (my) life. Well, I'll tell you what, pal, it's nothing but order out pepperoni and mushroom from now on."

Emphasis added:

"And a private booth at Taco Bell."

Be very careful what you wish for.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

"And a private booth at Taco Bell." Now that's good writing.

Bicycling? What's that? The yellow house (California people) has four feet of water in front of it, street side. All the way up to and under the garage door. This is after they ran pumps and hoses to the park last night about 9:00 to empty out Lake LaBarge. Another 3-5 inches today. Bicycling? I should have taken up kayaking.