Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I love it when a plan works out

I played outside again today. It was cold.

Many of my circle will know that my long time preferred non-workplace time piece has for many years been a cheap plastic Casio analog. I love to watch the second hand, I like the hands, I am no fan of digital time pieces, time is very, very clearly analog. I own three of the Casio analogs.

So last week the watch I was using stopped. I always keep the appropriate battery on hand so the first thing I did was replace the battery. Unfortunately that did not restart the watch. I took the battery back out and tried it in one of the other watches, this time in my personal favorite, the one with the scratch on the face from the drainspout on rue de La Sourdière as we walked from Glenn's apartment to a recommended restaurant in 2006. The fresh battery started that watch. I concluded that the now non-functioning watch had a disability unrelated to battery power. Being as the watches in question are about $12 brand new, repair is out of the question.

However, I have long had an issue with the cheap plastic bands that come with these watches. They just don't last very long. I have located a source for them and have at least a couple in reserve. The thing is though, even a watch that doesn't work has a perfectly fine watch band. I didn't want to discard the non-working watch because of the band and I have no good spot for storing just the band. My solution was to put a piece of black tape on the dead watch (black tape dead watch, good one, eh?) and store the watch in the same place where I store the other non-working watch, confident that I would now know which of those two was the one that wasn't any good anymore.

Today the watch band on the watch now currently in use gave up the ghost.
I am, like, totally prepared.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

I must be a member of your circle, since I am familiar with the Casio analog watch preference. Does that make me an arc? Or a radius? Pi?