Thursday, July 12, 2012

Some changes

Since the last discussion of not enough sleep I have had three nice sleeps, of one, two and three hour durations. The three were not, unfortunately consecutive, but they were all quite satisfying and cumulatively have served to quite significantly diminish the mental confusion while not doing quite as good a job on the total body ache. Towards the end there yesterday we were only hanging on but we hung on OK, even having dinner at a place specializing in Norman/Breton food where we each had a galette and a bolée de cidre, the traditional Norman meal accompaniment. Earlier we had watched the end of the tour stage where the GRider witnessed for her first time ever a stage of le Tour de France while she was in France. She was rewarded with the plucky adventures of French national hero Thomas Voeckler who captured the stage and rode himself into first place in the spotty jersey competition. We were both greatly entertained by a particularly fun stretch when the French color commentator launched himself into hyperexcitement with a description of an attack when the only words we could understand were the often repeated, "Jens Voigt, Jens Voigt, Jens Voigt".

Allez, Thomas.

In other cycling news the Team Sky team doctor is under investigation by the team. It turns out that the Team Sky team doctor is the same guy who oversaw the Rabobank team and the miraculous transformation of Michael Rasmussen from pretty good climber into the dominant rider in the tour in just one off season back in 2007.

*yawn* As predicted by me in this space on the rest day. Actually, the Chicken was exactly the rider I had in mind as my suspicions percolated. One year a pretty good rider, respected but not feared. The next year so scary good that no one could stay with him in any stage that mattered. Kinda like Team Sky this year.

I noticed a few changes in the immediate neighborhood during our orientation walks yesterday. The boulangerie that we most appreciated last year has been repositioned as an upscale tourist sandwich shop, not what I personally would consider to be an upgrade although the bottom line probably disputes my assessment. They were uberbusy for yesterday's noon rush.

People have started to leave money on Point Zero.
I have no idea why but presume that someone decided that it is lucky.

This might have been there last year but if it was I don't know how we could have missed it. About three doors down from the boulangerie is "Sur le Pouce".
My French is deficient but I am going with "on the thumb".

We bought a souvenir for Wireless, we know she loves her collectible Welch's jelly glass. This one is actually a mustard glass.
My French is deficient but I think that says "cows who rock".

I was out for a bit early this morning before anyone else other than the street cleaning crews. I got my annual photo of Notre Dame with no human beings in front.
Here's something else that is new. In the spirit of Velib you can now get a short term auto rental here. These (electric) cars are Autolib vehicles, parked at the charging station/rental kiosk along the side of the river with the Hotel de Ville in the background across the river.
Last evening as we headed out on rue Galande looking for a place to eat the FT asked if cars were allowed on the cobblestone ancient looking roadway we were walking on. If it were in Minneapolis it would absolutely for sure be a pedestrian only on the federal register of historic sites don't even think of driving there sort of place. Later as we sat at dinner an Autolib electric car drove by within about five feet of our table, the only motor vehicle we have seen on that street.

Not very much activity today, clearly I am in recovery mode. That seven hour time jump seems just a tiny bit harder every time I try it. Which is, I suppose (and lament) the way it has to be.

2 comments:

Emily M said...

The cow who rocks! Awesome!! That will go very nicely both with my Welch'es jelly glasses and with my cow-themed bowl and mugs (also procured in France). Thanks!

Santini said...

It would take more courage to drive in Paris than to bike there, I think.

A little report on the temperatures would be interesting. See if you can find a cow barn. (I can do the conversion from C to F.)