Friday, July 27, 2012

Bicycle fitness report

I do love my bicycle.

Bicycle fitness: OK, I guess, especially considering the relatively lengthy lay-off. I felt OK starting out even against a light wind. But eventually those hills out near Lake Vadnais took their toll and I was starting to wind down pretty rapidly by the time I finished.

It was fun to be out there, riding around familiar terrain. I never once came to one of those dreaded "centre ville" sign which so bedeviled us just a couple of days ago, particularly in Duclair.

I did find that quite a bit more water is flowing through the beaver dam than was the last time I was out there. The bit over there on the left looks like someone has been after the dam with a shovel.
Or perhaps the water flow is just a result of successful dam building by the beavers and the water level has built up to a point where it has to go somewhere. I am sure I will have more opportunities in the near future to assess. I know this because the GRider loves her bicycle too and is going to want to venture out in that direction when her schedule clears a little more.

Lake Vadnais looked even more like the north woods than usual today.
I have only seen a boat on Lake Vadnais a couple of times before. This time must be, as it was the times in the past, staff from the water utility conducting some sort of water quality test.

I will say that the lake smells pretty bad, dog days bad, too much stuff in the water bad. A result of this in the past has been aggressive treatment of the water resulting in somewhat unpalatable drinking water.

We shall see, if it gets too bad I suppose I could always seek better drinking water in some other state.

Here is my latest network of the Olympics rant. As I type the opening ceremonies are underway in London. NBC will provide plausibly live coverage beginning at 6:30 local time, which will be 12:30 am London time. Maybe this time I shouldn't complain, the tape delay will allow NBC to edit all the really boring countries out of the parade of athletes.

And finally, getting back on my bicycle today allowed me some time to think about bicycling topics. I wonder how Frank Schleck's search for the individual who "poisoned" him is going. I suspect this search will be about as successful as Contador's search for the source of the contaminated beef.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Our water tastes fine, though the blueberries are a little bit tart.