Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bicycling blog

This is a widely reported news item, probably every one of my potential readers has seen this, but I have mentioned this before and feel it worthy of note, the last surviving US veteran of The World War has died.

Rest in peace, Frank Buckles.But I am really here today to remind myself that this is a bicycling blog and the season draws nigh. I have checked last year's log and the first ride last year occurred on March 14. My log notes that it was the first day of daylight savings time. It also notes that there was an all time high temperature that day of 64. Daylight savings time will arrive soon, 64 may still be a ways off but persistent 40s and occasional 50s will be here soon, not very long after DST, and bicycling will be close behind. Just to add a little perspective, my log also notes that the last ride of last year occurred on November 11 (a Frank Buckles tie-in). It will soon be four months off my bicycle. It seems like (and has been) a long time.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I love your optimism. I hope you're right about the warm up -- temps seem to be running more than a bit below normal in West Michigan right now.