Saturday, March 19, 2011

128 days

And the long wait is over. My last Minnesota ride was November 11, 128 days ago.

I had already walked for an hour but mostly what that did was convince me that the nearby streets were dry enough to allow enough loops near home to get in a shake down cruise. So after finding all of the gear and pumping the tires I rode my bicycle.Particularly close observation will reveal that a) there is still quite a bit of snow out there and b) I have installed the plastic rear fender just to be sure that an unexpected puddle doesn't leave one of those dirt stripes up the back of my jacket.

It was not a big ride, more really a shake down, a chance to see if I had forgotten how. My fitness was OK, but it was soon enough very evident that I haven't put much pressure on the seat contact points of my body for over four months. You have to start somewhere. I started today.

We're having some fun now.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Excellent news!

That's still a big honkin' pile of snow.

TOPWLH said...

Sorry I returned home too late to photograph you on the bike. Congrats on starting the new season!

Retired Professor said...

That mud fender looks like a good idea -- are more details available on it?

Emily M said...

Excellent! I'm glad you were able to get back out there before the rain came today. :-) The streets over here are far too riddled with potholes to even consider biking. Plus, I don't have the appropriate gear. Or bike.

Fun!