Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pining for a ride

Before we get started here I just want to make it completely clear that I love my bicycle. A couple of days without a chance to ride leaves me pining for a ride.

Friday it rained. In fact it rained quite a bit. I am sorry that this photo is a little blurry (operator error) but I think it does clearly establish that rain was falling.It occurs to me that there is a fairly obvious question here. The answer is "yes".

Yesterday was too cold. My bike log says that temperatures failed to reach 50. I know that I rode earlier in the spring with temperatures in the 40s but it is May now. I just can't do that any more.

So today was low 50s at the start but spectacular sun and only light winds. My bicycle desires were temporarily sated. I rode through the Fairgrounds. The model railroader and the antique motorcycle shows are over but I got this morning after shot of the motorcycle sale.The truck says bike haul but I am pretty sure they mean motorcycles.

I rode the Capitol loop today. I passed this really nice old stone church. I believe that stone is limestone although the geology guy is famous for having some refinement to my stone IDs. It is possible that the stone might be dolomite or something.That's Saint John the Evangelist Episcopalian, a really nice old, stone church.

Not nearly as old or as nice as this one.That's the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul de Nantes, the Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Nantes.

Construction began in 1434 at a time when Nantes was a prosperous major commercial center. I suppose I should note that construction was not declared final until 1891. Most of the construction was completed by 1650.

The exterior was in the process of being cleaned when we were there and they still have one tower to go. The Cathedral is a really nice old stone church in a really nice French city.

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

In the photo that establishes that it was raining Friday (quite a bit, you say), it appears a neighbor is watering the lawn. Hmmm. To paraphrase what my dad said when we wanted to use the family car, "Is this watering [trip] necessary?"

Santini said...

Episcopalians seem to build nice churches.

When did motorcycles co-opt the word 'bike' from us?

Emily M said...

Oh, Tom. That's almost as bad as the time he watered the lawn in February during a brief snow melt. Almost.