Tuesday, May 18, 2010

1,000 miles this bicycle, this year

Today was for me the first day of the year when it was so nice out that if it was like this all of the time we would have to put a fence around the state to keep people out. This is also referred to here occasionally as OOTNDITHOD. Today marked my first appearance on the bicycle in complete summer gear, not a single remaining item worn in deference to the coolness or possible coolness of the day. The final step taken today was the sleeveless jersey. I know that BikeSnobNYC and others find the sleeveless jersey to be insufficiently "road". It is either too "mountain bike" or perhaps even too girly. My response is, "Doesn't that particular tan line somewhat limit your wardrobe choices when you are away from your bicycle?"

Never mind that, the big news from today's ride is 1,000 miles this bike this year. This is a goal that I hoped to reach by today and I am pleased with the pleasant run of weather which has made it possible, if just barely. Having reached this milestone I announce that today's ride is the last one on that bicycle for a while. What I originally thought of as only a minor click has, with the passage of time, come to be to my ear an unseemly clatter emanating from the area of my rear wheel. I have ordered the part and will not ride that bicycle again until the new derailer hanger quiets the clatter.

Of course, I have another bicycle. Part of the rationale for getting the new bicycle was that the old bicycle had more than 18,000 miles on it and parts were going to start wearing out. Still true, but the point is nothing actually HAS worn out yet. In fact the most pressing problem for that bicycle at the end of last season was that I had ridden far beyond the expected mileage on the tires that I was using. I admit to having had another set of orange tires in the cabinet all along and last week on one of the rainy days I pulled them out and mounted them on OldLOOK. OldLOOK is now good to go and will be my steed the next time I venture out on a road ride.

But today I took advantage of the spectacular weather and ventured down into the city again to ride the roundabout at least one more time in case it should develop that I need the practice.I had been hoping to see the corn planting this year but evidence in the field today indicates to me that I missed it. I have been keeping an eye out and the change in the field is very new, possibly having occurred as recently as this morning.But I missed it, those markings in the field were very clearly left by the tractor and planter.

I rode over to Summit Avenue again and rode past the place that used to be an all girls high school. This is the Auditorium entrance for Our Lady of Peace.That's a nice name for a high school I think, or for that matter for just about anything. Around at the front of the building we can see that OLP has now become the William Mitchell College of Law.Even though I have a connection to William Mitchell College of Law, I am still going to think that that name just isn't an as melodious a name as Our Lady of Peace. Our Lady of Peace, that would be Notre-Dame de la Paix if the school was located in France.

Which is where this school is located and to which because I have a connection to William Mitchell College of Law I also have a connection.That's me standing in front of the University of Paris Law School. The University of Paris is often referred to, incorrectly, as the Sorbonne. The Collège de Sorbonne) was founded about 1257 by Robert de Sorbon and is now a branch of the university. The University, including as one of its four branches, the Faculty of Law, was founded about 1160. Even though often referred to by the name of one of its branches, the university itself is much older and was never completely centered on the Sorbonne. Still, if you like, and I for one do, that's me at the Sorbonne.

No comments: