Saturday, December 26, 2009

Power user on Boxing Day

I am not positive exactly how it occurred on the upstairs computer but TOPWLH requested tech support based on a pop up window every time she tried to print which informed her that her "Spooler SubSystem App (had) stopped working and was closed".

She could not print.

In other lives I am bicycle repairman hear me roar and other vaguely interesting characters but Power User is one of my most important household roles. I am tech support, I must make the printer print.

So I figured it out finally. First we tried the close all the windows, shut everything off and restart standard Microsoft fix. When that didn't work I checked the Microsoft solutions website. The Microsoft solution involved Registry edits, an always to be avoided area if at all possible. Suffice to say that the fix I decided to try was not the Microsoft recommended fix.

Eventually I settled on what is always an eventful trip to the Control Panel. This trip produced printer preferences edits in Administrative Tools followed by a printer uninstall reinstall. This solution ended up being a tad tricky to execute because of problems uninstalling a printer which still had documents in the spooled print queue.

But I am not any ordinary user, I am a power user (thanks and a tip of the hat to my truly savvy L&M friends for this sobriquet, mostly Mike, Perry and Tamiko). All is now well with the upstairs computer and its printer.

We had a really nice holiday. Here is one of my best moments, our girl sitting on our couch reading.Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night (and Happy New Year).

1 comment:

Santini said...

That is the only fix I know how to do. Reboot. Wait, wait, wait,..... Ask John for help. Works every time. Well, pretty much.

Nice photo of the girl.