Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today's spring climate lesson

*sigh* These things apparently have to be relearned every spring.

Today's temperature was mid-50s again, similar to Sunday. On Sunday I was on the edge of overdressed at this temperature. Yesterday I dressed differently and I was fine, but the temperature WAS mid-60s. For today I considered adopting a layering approach somewhere between the two previous days.

But it seemed windy and I would way rather be too warm than too cold. My final decision was to go back to what worked on Sunday (long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket).

The wind was brisk from the northwest. Sunday the wind was from the southwest. And I learned yet again, as I apparently must, once each spring, that at this time of year, given approximately equal ambient air temperatures, a wind from the north carries along a considerably higher chill factor than a wind from the south.

The wind was cold but I was dressed appropriately, I was never even close to overheating, I was comfortable.

I added a new city to the list of cities I have visited this year on my bicycle, making it all the way to Shoreview. Here is the turnaround point, a point pictured several times previously, that arm of Island Lake that sits behind my home of record at time of entry into military service.Radio tower for reference. Also noteworthy for reference purposes is a telling indicator of why the northwest wind was so chilly today, ice is still present on the lakes. This also goes a fair distance along the path to explaining why all of those ducks are hanging around in the big puddle on the corn field.

I ended up with 18 miles, a bit more than I intended. When I got home TOPWLH asked me if I was cold. I replied that no, I was not cold, but I was tired.

But a good tired. I love my bicycles. Mostly I felt the beginnings of the return of strength, I felt good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no leaves on those trees, nor liquid water in that lake. Is this near Lake Owasso? TT

Anonymous said...

Interesting ride report. I -- for one, and it may only BE one -- am always interested in the gear reports. It is tricky this time of year. I saw a couple of photos of Lance and Thor riding together for training in France this week. (link on Lance's twitter) Neither of them were wearing gloves! Thor was wearing leg warmers, Lance had on tights and generally warmer clothing than Thor. Texas vs. Norway?

18 miles -- that's PSPS and back from here. Ride 3. Pretty good progress.

Anonymous said...

And no glove tan lines on their hands.