Monday, March 30, 2009

S.m.u.g.

The temperature today after work was about the same as yesterday so I decided to give it a try. Conclusion: that Sun thing makes a huge difference in what it feels like out there. Today was cold.

And gray.

But today I really do feel smug. I saw only one other bicyclist while I was riding. That guy was a commuter, bundled up, sporting a rear rack and bag. I was the one and only recreational cyclist out there. S.m.u.g., that's me.

I still felt a compulsion even on a day when natural conditions offered no contrast, only shades of gray, to find a photo opportunity. So, here is a lake: Como.Gray?

Somewhere out there on the edge of the ice in the middle of the lake is an eagle. I noticed it as I rode down along the east shore of the lake after taking the picture. I tried to find an angle where I could get a picture but that eagle was out in the middle of the lake. When the camera equipment that you have available is equipment that was originally selected because it is relatively inexpensive and it fits in your bicycle jersey pocket, well, you have limited options for trying to capture difficult shots. No matter what I did that eagle was going to be, at best, a black spot in the distance upon which you could possibly discern a white head. So go ahead and try to find that on what I have posted, or better yet, imagine it. An eagle on Lake Como is a pretty cool deal.

I ride on days like today when it is hard so that when the weather is finally nice enough to ride I will be fit enough to ride as much as I want to. Today was a chore, hard work, but miles that in June I will be very glad to have ridden.

2 comments:

Santini said...

That's pretty gray.

I think that the very fact that you ride with a camera means that you see things that you otherwise would have missed.

I knew there was a good reason to be riding today.

Emily said...

Biking on a day like that is truly hard core. Well done. And necessary, given what it's doing outside my window right now. The bus is not going to be fun.