Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunny but cold

The predicted high temperature for today was 40. At about 3pm it was 38, but it was sunny and the predicted extremely strong winds had not arrived. Obviously 38 is quite a bit outside my advertised guidelines for when I will ride. But I have the gear, and the possibility of several inches of snow looms for tomorrow. Guidelines were ignored and a bicycle ride ensued.

It eventually actually arrived at 43, which is still outside the guidelines. Here's an impression of riding when everyone is expecting 40: Most of those people out riding last week when it was 65 do not ride when it is 40. I rode three-quarters of today's ride without seeing a single other bicyclist.

Very many times on summer rides I have intended to photograph the Shoreview water tower. I particularly wanted to get a picture of it a couple of years ago when I had that water tower series going. In the summer time I always seem to arrive at the water tower when the sun is in one of two bad spots, either requiring a photo into the sun, difficult to pull off, or casting an unfortunate shadow which affects composition. Today with the leaves off the trees I reached a vantage point which allowed this angle.I photograph water towers because photos of water towers illustrate what I think is an interesting phenomenon related to bicycling in Roseville: every route I ride seems to end up on top of a hill. So that's the answer to the question, "What two things do you find on top of hills in Roseville?" Water towers and Gino.

I rode only a few feet more, literally to the road at the base of the water tower where I was confronted with a contrast shot. Last week I posted this arm of Island Lake completely ice covered. Fairly obviously progress has been made.I think that building across the lake and on the right is 3525 Owasso Street.

As I approached County Cycles on the homeward leg of the ride I was starting to get pretty smug about being the only rider out there. I was climbing up the hill to the stop light at the County Cycles corner and was just realizing that I was going to miss the light when a gang of cyclists coming up the hill from the left timed their climb successfully and swung a left turn to be in front of me and across the intersection, now heading down towards the Roseville VFW.

One of the last of the group called out, "Hi, Gene." It was Scott from County Cycles. I replied, "Hi, Scott." Actually it was nice to see someone I knew but being recognized by another bicyclist and having to respond aloud to said bicyclist is not the story that I had planned.

But actually I still feel pretty smug. It was nice enough to ride, sunny but cold, but okay if you were properly dressed.

1 comment:

Santini said...

It even looks like it is at the top of a hill. Good to see the ice is on the way out. It can't get warm until the ice is gone, as you know. I prefer 50's, but will ride when it is 40, if it isn't too windy. (A rule I violate regularly.) My tolerance for cold is decreasing, but then so is my tolerance for heat. I like 74 degrees, and a NW wind of 5, personally.