Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Vernal equinox

The first ride of the year is a long ride, no matter the actual distance.


There is still a fair amount of snow hanging around the end of my driveway but the field in the background is more indicative of the incipient springtime. It is warm enough to ride and has been for a while but the state of the roads has kept me from actually heading out. I hate riding in the slush and as evidenced by the still receding puddle on the cul-de-sac, the snow melt isn't quite over yet.

This is my former winter bike but as I did not ride this winter (or last), it is now my early spring, late fall, bad road conditions bike. It is a Bianchi Axis, a cyclocross bike featuring a higher bottom bracket, aluminum frame, and wider tires, qualities which make it more appropriate for riding on roads still covered with the sand put down for traction purposes during the heart of winter.

On the road again.

No comments: