Sunday, August 2, 2020

You lie August

Split timber all over no wonder distemper.

Relevant because today was very unlike July, the first time this season that the day featured a preview of what is to come.  Not enough sun and not enough heat, a really very October like day.

The W word thing is coming.

It was windy but I had not ridden in a couple of days and I felt strong.  I got farther north than I have been recently, all the way to the top of the hill in Shoreview.
The tops of the hills is where they put the water towers.  The sky off frame left of this photo featured an even darker looking group of clouds.  And not even enough blue for a Dutchman's pair of pants.

Having gotten that far north I swung past this extremely underappreciated and under photographed body of water on the return trip.
Lake Emily.

I felt strong and I thought I was going to ride a couple of extra miles today, intending for a new longest ride of the year.  I planned as I neared home to turn off the direct path and ride a southerly two mile loop along familiar and often traveled streets.  When I came to the intersection where I needed to turn left to initiate this detour I was deterred by a car approaching from behind me.  I don't like riding across in front of cars.  I always prefer going behind cars, it being imperatively obvious that fewer bicyclists are killed by cars going backwards than are killed by cars going forward.

Anyway, I missed my turn and before I knew it I was home.

Roses are still blue, at least they were a couple of days ago when I took this photo.
That one is in front of a nearby credit union.

2 comments:

Emily's Mom said...

Lake Emily! That is a beautiful photo of a lake I have not seen for a while but always enjoy stopping to admire. It was sweet of them to name it after Wireless.

Retired Professor said...

It’s an opening line that gets used once a year, but still entertains.

I do like the blue rose.

October sounds good to me. Good to hear that you are feeling strong.