Friday, August 28, 2020

Got rained on in the last mile

 I am a little uncertain about this new blogger.  As usual, change is hard, it isn't so much that there are things I don't like.  It is more that things are no longer where I expect to find them.

*sigh*

And then there is the whole return key dropping me down two lines instead of one.  After a lifetime of return- return to start a new paragraph blogger wants me to get used to using only a single return.

I am a little uncertain.

We did not have Tropical Storm Laura but we did have a pretty intense if short burst of rain this morning and it finally broke the string of too hot too humid heat advisory days that has dominated the last half of August.  There was still a 30 percent chance of more for this afternoon but that was a 70 percent chance of none and it was starting to be too long since I had ridden.  Also, yesterday was the scheduled first day of the Fair and I wanted to ride by over there.  The Fair Food Parade was having another go today and I was interested to see if the smells of the Fair might be present near the grounds.

No.

I was trying to keep an eye on the northwestern sky which was where the incoming weather figured to announce itself but I got distracted by this bench.

I took my mid-ride sitdown there and made the mistake of leaning back.

That turned out to be way comfortable and with a pretty pleasant day going on and a four way stop right in front of me providing plenty of entertainment I lingered perhaps longer than I should have with a 30 percent chance of rain.

And for the first time this year I got caught.  The first drop was just outside a mile from home and after that the rain came on fairly rapidly.  It was raining by the time I got home, not a very hard rain but also clearly not a sprinkle.

So that's one more intrinsic bicycling experience checked off this year's list.

The rain didn't last long and later I went back out and recycled to finish out the number of miles that I had been hoping to ride.

This rose is the second closest to my house.

I think it is interesting that they finished some major tree pruning there this year.  We have done some pruning ourselves in our yard but our tree work was storm related.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

The racing boys got rained on most of yesterday's stage, as you know. It might have contributed to all the crashes, wet roads are slippery. A good reason not to ride in the rain.

Yeah, Blogger's changes have thrown off my blogging habits, too. I still can't find some stuff for posting photos, and when I do find something, I forget where it is the next time I post. So yes, hard.

Nice little rose in its orange pot.

Emily M said...

I am impressed that you went back out after the rain. Well done.