Sunday, August 30, 2020

At last, a corn report

I have not been very diligent about posting corn reports this season.  Part of the problem is that I have adopted a new crossing point for Snelling which includes an approach along Larpenteur.  My former route followed Roselawn and took me directly adjacent to the corn field.  For some unknown reason today I set out to ride Roselawn up to Snelling.  I got one of my best looks of the year at the corn field.

It appears that I have missed something.

*sigh*

It is barely still August but it is still August and August is a summer month.  We had breakfast outside on the deck this morning and everyone put a jacket on.  So today was a coolish summer day, temperatures in the 70s with a fresh breeze.  It was very pleasant, a very nice day.

The breeze was almost completely from the south so I angled off in an angle mostly southerly and ended up a place I haven't been for a while.  I took my sit down here.

What I liked about that scene was the wide variety of man made objects in the frame.  Those closest stones are limestone, the obelisk and the other stones further away are granite.  There is a steel electric power transmission line tower center frame, very new age technology.  Then some tall office towers and over to the right two churches, the one farthest away being the local Cathedral.  I learned in France that our big church is a cathedral and the biggest church in Minneapolis is a basilica because this one is the bishop's church, the one in Minneapolis has no bishop.  I learned that on a day when I visited Notre Dame Cathedral and the Basilica of Saint Denis.

I passed near the Fairgrounds on my route home and came upon this enterprising citizen reacting to the large decrease in number of people wishing to park in his neighborhood this week by posting a substantial decrease in his usual rates.

The guy with the dogs is not the homeowner, the homeowner is sitting in the shade, you can see his right foot peeking out from behind the bush frame right.

I felt strong but compared to lately but I am quite slow.  I was riding along next to the lake when I noticed that I was completely not gaining on a father riding with his two early grade school age children.  I wasn't really falling back from them but I was definitely not gaining.

This one is located at the local branch of the county library.

I went through and counted again and cross referenced my published photos to the informational website.  Sixteen down, four to go.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Excellent ride report and pictures. I guess I spent a lot more time than you this summer checking out the corn field. Although, when did they cut it all down?! Must have been recently.
I love that cemetery and the rose at the library is one of my favorites. The pot is a nod to my former favorite place to buy a pound of coffee.

Retired Professor said...

The corn has been harvested in a number of fields here, too. It seems early. I like the rose -- hard to believe it's been 16 of them already.